What Is A Covenant Marriage? Marriage is a very important phase of life. It is a life-changing moment. Now you hear another word covenant marriage. What type of marriage is this covenant marriage? Why would a couple go into such a marriage? Let us find out everything about What Is A Covenant Marriage?
What Is A Covenant Marriage?
A covenant Marriage means a type of marriage a couple goes for where they obtain pre-marital counseling and the couple can easily get a divorce, unlike a non covenant marriage. In a covenant marriage is a couple decides to get a divorce there are not as many restrictions as in a normal marriage. They can be divorced without any specific cause.
The covenant marriage is legal in three states of the United States which are Arizona, Arkansas, and Louisiana. Covenant marriage is different from non-covenant and traditional marriage.
Most of them who enter into a covenant marriage do so for a religious reason. But before entering a covenant marriage both of them should understand what they are entering into and the extent of the commitment
Important Facts About Covenant Marriage
Here are some critical facts about covenant marriage.
- There are only 1% to 2% of people who close a covenant marriage in the three states together (Arkansas, Arizona, and Louisiana)
- The reasons for a couple to leave a covenant marriage are limited
- Every couple who enters a covenant marriage has to review the Arizona Covenant Marriage Informational Pamphlet
- It divorced in covenant marriage the following laws are not affected that are governing spouse support, child support, custody of kids, and division of property or assets
Click here – How To Fix Screen Tearing And Prevent It?
What Is A Covenant Marriage In Arizona?
Arizona was the first state to make the covenant marriage legal. It became law in Arizona on 21st August 1998.
In Arizona, there are two types of marital unions Arizona covenant marriage and non covenant marriage. When a couple enters a covenant marriage they can get easily divorces as there are fewer restrictions in a covenant marriage than non-covenant marriage.
What Is A Non Covenant Marriage?
Non-Covenant marriage is traditional marriage. It has are many restrictions in a case a couple wants to go for a divorce. In the state of Arizona, there are these two types of marriages the traditional or noncovenant marriage and the other is the covenant marriage.
So now you know What Is A Covenant Marriage and non covenant marriage
Requirements Before Covenant Marriage
These are some requirements that a couple must fulfill before entering a covenant marriage
- Before entering a covenant marriage a couple must go for premarital counseling from a marriage counselor. This helps the couples to understand the seriousness of the covenant marriage and that they can seek marital counseling anytime in married life whenever there are difficult times. This also helps to understand and give limited reasons for a couple to leave a covenant marriage.
- After attending premarital counseling a couple must apply for a marriage license as they want to enter a covenant marriage.
- In the application they have to make certain declaration Intentions that mentions that both the parties agree to enter the covenant marriage, they agree to spend their life together, they understand the seriousness and responsibilities od the marriage.
- The application must have an attestation affidavit that must contain the following
- The discussion with the counselor
- Covenant is a lifetime commitment
- The couple understands the need of counseling if required
- The couple understands the limited reasons of them to leave the covenant marriage
Reasons for divorce in Covenant Marriage
These are some reasons for a divorce in a covenant marriage
- One of the non-filing partner has committed adultery
- One of the non-filing partner has committed a crime or has been sentenced to death or is in prison
- One of the non-filing partner has abandoned the house for more than a year
- One of the non-filing partners has committed any kind of domestic violence, sexual abuse. A partner is going through emotional abuse
- The couple is not leaving together for minimum of two years
- Superior court has given them legal separation and they are not living together for more than a year
- Both of them are agreed to get divorced
- If a partner abuses the other one with alcohol or drugs and living with the partner is unhealthy
Converting Traditional Marriage To A Covenant Marriage
Covenant marriage got legal in Arizona on 21st August 1998. If you married before this then your marriage is a non covenant marriage.
After understanding What Is A Covenant Marriage let us see how a traditional marriage can be turned into a non covenant marriage by paying some fees and submitting the following document
- Submit Declaration of intent
- Apply for a marriage license
- The date and location of the traditional marriage
However, is no option that you can convert a non covenant marriage into a covenant marriage.
What Is The Purpose Of Covenant Marriage?
Covenant marriage is set so that they can promote marriages. It is a method by which they can reduce the rate of divorce, lessen children that are born out of wedlock. It is a way in which they want to frame marriage as honorable.
What Is The Difference Between A Traditional Marriage And A Covenant Marriage?
In a covenant marriage, a couple gets the choice to limit the grounds of marriage at the time of their marriage and they have to get pre-marital counseling and in a traditional marriage, a couple needs to just purchase a marriage license, two witness, es and a state-license agent for the ceremony.
How Do You Know If You Have A Covenant Marriage?
When you apply for a marriage license you have to declare the intent doe covenant marriage. You have to sign an extra statement for a covenant marriage.
Which Are The Covenant Marriage States?
The covenant marriage is legal in three states of the United States which are Arizona, Arkansas, and Louisiana.
How Do You Know If Your Marriage Is A Covenant Marriage?
To obtain a “covenant marriage” the parties must apply for a covenant marriage license, and declare their intentions to enter into a “covenant marriage.” This is not to be confused with a religious marriage, which is often under a religious covenant.
Why Is Marriage A Covenant Rather Than A Contract?
Marriage does not rest within the criteria of a contract but rather that of a covenant. A fundamental difference between a contract and a covenant is that a contract is cut between two human parties and agreed upon as a matter of honor, and legal proceedings are in place to enforce such private agreements.
What Is A Covenant Marriage In The Bible?
The marriage covenant was intended to reflect the love and relationship between Christ and His church. The Bible records, in Ephesians 5:31-32- “For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.
What Religion Has Covenant Marriage?
Since the incep- tion of covenant marriage in 1997, the large majority who elect covenant marriages have been conservative evangelical Protestants.
Click here – How To Connect Wii To Tv With HDMI, AV Cables, and Smart TV
A covenant marriage is a type of marriage where a couple goes for pre-marital counseling and the couple can easily get a divorce. The grounds of divorce are set at the time of covenant wedding, unlike a non covenant marriage.. They can be divorced without any specific cause. The covenant marriage is legal in three states of the United States which are Arizona, Arkansas, and Louisiana. The law of covenant marriage became legal in 1998. Its main purpose is to promote marriages and lessen the rate of divorces. This is all about What Is A Covenant Marriage?