In 2023, you could become a victim of negligence at any time. Unintentional injuries are one of the most common reasons for death in the US. Controlling negligence to build a better society is the duty of every US citizen.
But how can you control it? You have to make use of the personal injury law. Personal injury law enables you to hold the negligent party accountable for their actions, raise awareness among people, and get compensation for your losses.
However, making use of personal injury law is not that simple. You need to have extensive knowledge of the law to make effective use of it. The average citizen will not have that knowledge; only personal injury lawyers will have it. A personal injury lawyer helps you effectively when you file a case. Visit www.francistxlaw.com to learn more about how a lawyer will help victims of negligence.
A lawyer will help you, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have to learn about personal injury law. You must learn about personal injury law to protect yourself. People not knowing their rights can lead to insurance companies taking advantage of them. You need to know your rights to protect them.
In this blog post, we discuss the 7 most important rights everyone should know about.
Rights of Personal Injury Victims
- Right to Seek Compensation: When you sustain a personal injury, you will incur many types of losses. You will incur both financial and non-financial losses. You can seek compensation for these losses since the accident was not your fault and was caused by someone else’s negligence. So, rightfully, the at-fault party should pay your expenses.
- Right to Legal Representation: Insurance companies aim to lower your compensation. And to do that, they will use many unethical strategies. Only a lawyer can protect you from insurance companies. You have the right to seek legal representation. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Hire a lawyer immediately following an accident.
- Right to File a Lawsuit: Most personal injury cases settle outside of court. In fact, only 4% of cases go to court. But that doesn’t mean your case will be settled outside of court. If the insurance company is not willing to settle for the amount you are seeking, which you think is fair, you can file a lawsuit. You can let judges and juries decide the outcome of your case.
- Right to Reject the Insurance Company’s Offer: Following an accident, the insurance company will reach out to you to compensate you. But what they offer at that time will not even be close to what you have lost. Insurance companies will just try to take advantage of you when you are down. You can say no to the offer since accepting it means you cannot file a claim anymore.
- Right to Not Speak to Insurance Adjusters Without the Presence of Your Lawyer: Insurance adjusters are masters at scamming victims. They will act like the victim’s friend. Never forget that they work for the insurance company. Trust your lawyer and do what they say. Never listen to insurance adjusters, even if you feel that they are right. Never speak with them alone. You must have a lawyer by your side when speaking with them.
- Right to Appeal: Sometimes, even in court, you will not get the desired outcome. In that case, you can file an appeal if you feel strongly that you can win the case. Speak with your lawyer before appealing. Ask their opinion about the case and the possibility of winning.
- Right to Confidentiality: Personal injury claims should be conducted in private. At least until you go to court. Insurance companies and others should never reveal your case details, even to your lawyer.
Hope you learned something new today. Knowing your rights can help you when you encounter an accident. Speak with a lawyer to learn more about your rights as a personal injury victim. Also, share the knowledge you learned with your friends. It can be helpful to them too.